ECO-PRINT WORKSHOP Saturday September 30th 2023
When: Saturday Sept. 30th. 10.30 am - 4pm
Where: Other Wise Studio – Guelph Ont.
No Experience Necessary, 16 years old and up.
This workshop is limited to 8 people, so there will be lots of 1:1 attention. Join me and learn the basics of eco printing and bundle dyeing! Using local leaves, plants, and historical dye plants.
You will create & take home a variety of hemp fabric samples, a bandana & water colour paper prints.
- A brief history of natural dyes, bundle dyeing & eco- printing.
-The process of preparing plant (cellulose) based fibers for best results, scouring, mordanting, & the use of modifiers.
- What makes a leaf print and how to use iron & tannins to create darker prints.
-The ethics of foraging and gathering locally, growing your own dye/printing plants and some of the best places to get leaves that print well!
- How to care for your plants based fabrics.
You will leave the day with the essential knowledge on how to print fabrics with plants as well as a deeper appreciation for the plants surrounding us!
There will be a print out, outlining techniques & information we go over, so you can continue experimenting at home!
- I will provide all the fabric, paper, dyes and dried leaves and flower for you to experiment with!
- 2 pieces on hemp/organic cotton blend muslin, medium weight. (each approx 9" x 27")
- 1 organic cotton bandana ( approx 23" sq.)pieces of hemp/organic cotton "left over" sizes will vary
- Water colour paper.
- Variety of leaves, plant material for printing with.
- Coffee, tea, water and light snacks will be available during our breaks.
Supplies to bring
- Comfy clothes you are not afraid to get a little messy or an apron
- I will have medical gloves available for use, but if you have sensitive skin, or allergies, I suggest bringing a pair you know will work for you.
We will have about 60 -90 minutes for lunch time, while our bundles cook!
Bring a bagged lunch, options for take out around the studio are limited.
- A note book and pen for note taking
The Fine Print
Full payment is required to hold your spot.
Payment plans are available! Please email me for more details.
A few days before the workshop date you will receive an email for me with phone numbers, and reminders! please make sure you check your junk mail, or add julia@ juliamasci.com to your safe list! :)
7 days prior to date of workshop you will receive a full refund minus a $10 admin fee. Please contact me directly through email or text.
I acknowledge life happens though, and if you are unable to make it the day of the workshop, I will credit you a space in an upcoming workshop, (or a shop credit). Please note, this may not be until Jan/Feb of 2024 depending on workshops running.
About the studio . we will be gathering at Otherwise Studio in Guelph Ontario.
490 York Rd
Building i Suite 201
The studio is upstairs and although accessible once inside, there are about 4 steps up to the main outside door. There is an elevator available once inside the building.
Please email me if you have questions about the accessibility of the space.
It can be a little tricky to find once inside the parking maze. I will have signs posted and you will receive my cell phone number for support if needed.